|An example of a spectacular |
The origins of paella
|The largest ever paella on |
record weighed over 32 tonnes!
Our recipe is for seafood paella, but the ingredients found in paella vary from region to region.
For example, in Valencia it is often eaten with rabbit and chicken, yet it is also possible to find delicious vegetable paellas; perfect if you are a vegetarian. If you are interested in hearing more about the history of paella, you can read the article on our blog!
Paella: The recipe
Here’s a tried and tested easy recipe for successful paella! This recipe is for seafood paella, one of the popular ways to eat it! However, if you´re not a seafood fan, you can easily substitute the seafood ingredients for chicken (or extra vegetables if you are a vegetarian).
What ingredients will I need to cook paella?
• 200g rice (risotto/paella rice)
• 1 onion, diced
• 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
• 1 green pepper, chopped
• 1 large tomato, chopped
• 100g squid, chopped
• 100g clams
• 100g prawns
• 500ml vegetable stock (if you can get hold of seafood or fish stock, that would be even better!)
• A pinch of saffron (if you can't find saffron, turmeric is a good substitute)
• Olive oil
• A little rosemary
• 2 Lemons, quartered, to garnish.
Once you have all the ingredients at the ready:
3. Strain the prawns, but make sure you keep the stock, you´ll need it later!
|De-heading and peeling |
prawns is easier than it looks!
6. Add the saffron, squid and rice, and give everything a stir.
7. Add the stock that you cooked the prawns in earlier. You will need about twice as much stock as rice, so if you don´t have enough, add a little water to the stock.
8. Leave it to cook for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. In the last 5 minutes, add the clams and prawns, and the rosemary.
9. Taste the rice to see if it´s cooked. If it's still a little firm, add a little extra water and cook for a couple more minutes. Add salt to taste, and place the lemon quarters around the dish.
10. Let the rice sit for about 5 minutes, and then serve.
How was it?
We hope you enjoyed your paella! Did you cook it for a large group of people, or was it quieter occasion with a few close family members?
|Paella is the perfect dish to enjoy |
with family and friends!
Once you’ve got the hang of the recipe, you can adapt it to your taste by adding extra ingredients of your choice! If you´re not a cooking fan, don´t panic, because there are plenty of paella restaurants in Madrid.
If you want something to accompany the dish, or fancy trying something a little different that's simple to make (and will without doubt impress your friends!), then take a look at Winefolly´s recipes for sangria!