or stress: only romance!
Pick one of our five crazy-fun, preplanned dates and enjoy a fabulous night in Madrid!
If you’re just getting to know somebody, or just want to keep things low key, this may be the no pressure date for you. Start with a relaxing drink, enjoy a few tapas, and take in a fun movie that you’ll both like!
Drinks and Tapas- Pick from one or more of these great Tapas bars:
- Circo (http://www.circodelastapas.com/)
- La Musa Malasaña (http://www.grupolamusa.com/)
- Mercado San Ildefonso (http://www.mercadodesanildefonso.com/)
Movies- Choose a romantic movie in any language at these great theaters:
- Yelmo Cines Ideal- Yelmo offers big hits and blockbusters in original version with Spanish Subtitles (http://www.yelmocines.es/cines-madrid/peliculas-en-cartelera-ideal-3d)
- Cines Renoir Princesa- This theater offers more independent films in original version with Spanish subtitles. (http://www.cinesrenoir.com/cartelera/cine/349566086E5F21EF/)
- Cines Palafox- Here you can test your Spanish skills with films in Spanish or with Spanish dubbing (http://www.sensacine.com/peliculas/en-cartelera/cines/)
- Cines Callao-Also Spanish language/Dubbing (https://callaocitylights.reservaentradas.com/cine/callao/)
The Active Adventure
For those of you looking for something out of the norm to get your date’s pulse racing, this is your top choice. Grab your jacket and make the streets of Madrid your own as you rollerblade/bike through them, share exotic flavors over dinner, and hit up a music festival to dance the night away!
Start by renting rollerblades, bikes, or even a longboard at Madrid Rent and Roll (http://www.rentandroll.es/), an affordable shop located close to Retiro. Then ride off to wherever your imagination leads you: through the park, towards the Prado, or around the glitzy streets of Salamanca!
Try New Flavors
After returning your wheels and working up an appetite, continue the adventure at Restaurante Zara, where you can enliven your palate with some fantastic Cuban/Carribean food (http://restaurantezara.com/). If you’re not in the mood for that, or want something even bolder, try Krachai’s highly rated Thai cuisine (Fernando VI, 11 Madrid, 28004).
Live Music- Time to dance!
Finally, after an early dinner (or before, if you want to reverse the order) hop on the metro at Chueca and hop down four stops to La Latina for a live concert! La Orquesta del Solar´s mambo and cha-cha will take you back to 1950’s New York as part of the Madrid es Negro festival. If you buy your tickets ahead, they’re only 10 Euros (http://www.guiadelocio.com/madrid/conciertos/madrid/quiero-mambo-y-chachacha#localizacion). Otherwise, try going dancing at Tupperware or check out the other bars in Chueca!
The Classical RomanceWant to wow your date by showing them how old Hollywood you can be? Class it up by watching
the sunset from one of the highest points in Madrid, share drinks and a candlelit dinner, and then hold each other close as you dance your way to a grand finale. This could be your Philadelphia Story!
Begin your evening around 6:15 to watch the sunset from the deck of the Circulo de las Bellas Artes (1 Euro, http://www.circulobellasartes.com/), and then head down for a drink or two at A. n. e. l. Tapas and Lounge (3 min walk, Calle Villalar, 1, 28001 Madrid).
La Cocina de Maria Luisa (Calle de Jorge Juan, 42) is rated as one of the most romantic places to have dinner in Madrid, and is a quick stroll through Salamanca. Ramses Suria (Plaza de la Independencia 4) is also known to be a great place for romance, so pick the place that best suits you!
Choose from ballroom dancing and salsa at these great dance halls:
- Parche Disco Bar, Ballroom, Calle de Ayala, 120
- New Prisma, Ballroom Dancing, Calle de Alcalá, 192
- Tropical House, Ballroom and Salsa, Plaza de los Mostenses, 11
- Sala Templo, Ballroom Dancing, Tango, Salsa, Bravo Murillo, 52
The Creative/ Affordable Evening
Meet your date at El Monumento de Alfonso XII in Retiro Park (the large statue overlooking the pond) and sit on the steps together to watch the sunset over the city. As dusk falls, take a leisurely walk towards Atocha and your next destination. The sun is estimated to set at 18:29.
The Reina Sofia museum is free from 19:00 to 21:00 Monday-Saturday, so today is your lucky day! After watching the sunset, warm up while enjoying an hour or two of breathtaking modern art that is sure to spark a lively conversation!
Drinks and Snacks
Leaving the museum, it’s a short walk up to Lavapies, where there are many affordable cafes and bars. Try Bar Penny Lane (Calle de Salitre, 15, 28012 Madrid) for cheap tapas, tasty drinks, and great music!
The Romantic GetawayIf you’re working with a more flexible budget and want to really sweep your date off their feet, pack
an overnight bag and go*! This date will take you on a breathtaking tour of old Avila, keep you cozy in a romantic B&B, and turn the heat up all the way!
*This can also be done as a day trip, if you’re feeling up to it!
- Bus: 20 Euro return ticket per person, Aprox. 1.5 hours: http://www.venta.avanzabus.com/
- Train: 20 Euros per person, Aprox.1.5 hours: http://venta.renfe.com
Suggested Private Hostel/Hotel
- Hotel Mirador de Santa Ana
Double room from 44 Euros per night
- Hotel Las Leyendas
Double room from 71 Euros per night
La Muralla, the ancient, roman-built, wall surrounding the city is open for walking tours spanning several kilometers. Be sure to pack a jacket: Avila boasts a much higher altitude than Madrid and you’ll want to keep warm!
- Delicatessen: Fusion food, 6-17 Euros per person
- El Almacén: Bistro-esque , 30 Euros per person
Extra Ideas for gifts and activities
- Relaxing Couple’s Massage: Romantic and wonderful! http://www.kenikathaimassage.es
- Flowers: Istar- a small, highly rated shop: Calle del Espíritu Santo, 11
- Chocolates: Moulin Chocolate: Calle Alcalá, 77. Madrid.